Attracting organic traffic to your blog: what you need to know about it
If we talk about how visitors come to the site, the first thing that comes to mind — this is contextual advertising. Yes, today it basically has no competitors. Pay per click — this is the fastest and easiest way to attract the target audience to the site, which will ultimately have a positive impact on the development of the business as a whole. And in implementation it is quite simple. You just need to select the right query, set a bidding strategy, write the advertisement itself and you're done: people who are interested in the goods or services you provide will see your business at the top of the search results.
But there is one significant nuance: you have to pay for contextual advertising, in particular for each click. Is there a way to attract your target audience to your website for free? Eat. In this case we are talking about organic traffic. Now get to know what it is and what benefits you will get from using it in practice. Let's get acquainted with the main ways to attract organic traffic and additional recommendations. We will also tell you how to organize work to attract the target audience to the site without the risk of getting banned.
What is organic traffic?
Under the term “organic traffic” mean all visits to your site that were not paid for in advance. So, here we can distinguish 2 separate categories:
- Organic search. This is ensured through competent SEO optimization of the site. That is, a person asks a query that interests him and receives in the browser a list of sites corresponding to it. And here the winner is the one whose resource is at the top: optimally in the TOP-5 or at least in the TOP-10. If this can be achieved, then the business receives all the conditions to attract the target audience in the long term completely free of charge. That is, without any investment in advertising.
- Organic social networks. This traffic comes from non-paid posting on social networks. It turns out that the business itself creates its own account on one or another site, advertises its products or services on it, talks about them, and only then the audience that is really interested in the product goes to the site to make a direct purchase.
In this review, we will focus in more detail on the organic traffic that will lead to your resource from search results.
Why should you focus on organic traffic?
Before getting to know all the strategies and recommendations for attracting organic traffic, let’s take a closer look at what benefits you will get from using it in practice. Let's look at why it is so important for any business.
We highlight the following main advantages:
- Get free evergreen clicks.
- Increased trust and authority.
- High quality traffic.
Let's look at all these 3 aspects in more detail.
Getting free evergreen clicks
Let's look at this advantage using an example. Let's assume that your online store sells designer wooden toys for children. Your goal at this stage — attract as much traffic as possible to the pages of the site on which these products are presented. But at the same time, you have absolutely no budget to outbid competitors for key queries related to wooden toys for children.
Surely, if you have been collecting semantics, you have noticed that the key phrase “wooden toys to improve motor skills” works best. But, as you can see, this request contains not so much a commercial component as an informational one. And the monthly search traffic on it is quite significant. Alternatively, you can use this query to make a good blog post. That is, you write a short material based on the phrase “wooden toys to improve motor skills.” Place in it several links to those products from your store that correspond to the main idea of the post.
Once your material is published, people will read it. All those who are interested in the information presented will follow the links. Moreover, those who find your material useful will definitely mark it, and it will rise to the top of the search results.
If this happens, then you have fulfilled the key requirements of SEO promotion correctly. That is, you managed to create just one, but really high-quality material that was appreciated by the user audience. As a result, you received an almost free billboard for your product, which is at the top of the search results. The reason why the questions are practically free is that you still have to pay a one-time fee for the blog post. But what do you get in the end?
According to statistics, the request for wooden toys for developing motor skills is asked on the Internet about 150 times. And if your material is at the top, then all these 150 people will see it. And the likelihood that many of them will decide to make a purchase from you is quite high. Even if it is 10% of all views. But this is already 15 orders a day.
Increased trust and authority
Depending on what query the user sets on the network, he will see as a result not only paid, but also organic results. Where do you think a person will click when he sees the material he needs? For paid or organic results? Surely, our thoughts coincide with you, because the answer is clear — to organic. It's all about trust and authority.
You need to understand that not all network users understand what the difference is between paid and organic search results. But still, most people see this very difference. That is, they are aware that any brand that wants to appear on the first page of search results can pay money and be there. And even a business that has not proven itself particularly well in the market and has not generated positive responses from customers can do this.
And it’s a completely different matter when it comes to organic search. If the site ends up in the TOP here, it means it is highly rated by both search engines and ordinary users. That is, he has earned himself a good reputation and is truly trustworthy. This aspect is also very important from the point of view of the fact that recently search engines, in particular Google, have begun to pay more and more attention to the so-called external signals, which are based on expertise, authority and trust. That is, by focusing specifically on organic search, you are guided by both the requirements of search engines and the requests of the user audience.
Higher traffic quality
We have already mentioned that a person who gets to a site through a search engine initially sets some kind of query. If we continue the theme of wooden toys, then there may be 2 options:
- Information search. In this case, a person is simply interested in what kind of wooden toys exist and what effect they provide for the development of fine motor skills. As an example, an information request may sound like “types of wooden toys,” “how wooden toys develop motor skills,” or “how wooden toys develop motor skills.” etc.
- Commercial search. Here we are talking directly about purchasing such a toy. Accordingly, the search phrase will sound like: “buy/order wooden toys for the development of motor skills.”
In any case, there is a noticeable difference between advertising on social networks and other platforms where audience targeting is used. That is, a detailed study of users is carried out in order to identify among them those who could be attributed specifically to your target audience. And even if you manage to find such people, there is no guarantee that they will make a purchase. Well, I came across such an advertisement, well, I looked or scrolled through it without any response. Moreover, such messages often irritate people. What kind of purchase can we talk about then?
There will be no such risks if you focus on organic traffic. The person understands that there is no danger here. This means that he will ask both informational and commercial requests only if he is really interested in the goods or services you offer and study the material in more depth. And this is the quality of traffic, which is determined by the average time spent on the site, the engagement rate, the number of transitions made, etc. In the case of organic traffic, this indicator will be significantly higher than many other channels lead attraction.
So what percentage of overall traffic is organic?
Organic share in total website traffic
According to statistics, a good website is one that has over 60% organic traffic in the total flow of visitors. It is optimal to bring this figure to 80-90%. That is, in their classification of a good website, search engines pay attention specifically to the volume of natural traffic. It should be significantly higher than other channels for attracting audiences.
If paid channels are used to attract traffic, including social networks and other platforms, then the volume of organics here will be minimal. And this has a direct impact on what type of traffic the site attracts more. But still, even if you use the same contextual advertising, then at least half of the traffic should be allocated to organic advertising.
In cases where the share of natural traffic from search results to a site is less than 30%, and the resource itself has been operating for quite a long time and does not attract any paid sources, then this is a reason to think about whether it is under sanctions from search engines. In this case, it is necessary to determine which search engine has the least amount of traffic and conduct careful monitoring.
As you can see, organic traffic — it is also a way to determine the effectiveness of the resource both for you and directly for search engines. Now let's move on to what methods you can use to increase the share of organic matter on your resource.
TOP 5 ways to attract organic traffic
We already said above that to create a good natural flow of the target audience to your website, it will be enough to create high-quality content. It is optimal to have as much of this material as possible, which in turn intensifies consumer transitions to the resource. And in this matter, creating a blog will be a reliable assistant. Many experts compare it with full-fledged media. But here you will also have to carry out a comprehensive study, think through a promotion strategy, make the necessary settings for content distribution, fill it with suitable material, etc.
Of the key stages that you will need to implement to attract organic traffic through your blog, we highlight:
- Drawing up semantics, website optimization. A set of key queries — This is the main aspect of SEO promotion, because it is what gives the maximum increase in organic traffic. They will be used for search results. And your task – optimize the posted material to the requirements of search engines: they should easily find it, evaluate it and move it to the top of the results. Not so long ago, the priority was articles literally stuffed with keys. And the fact that the material was unreadable did not interest the search bots at all. Today the situation has changed radically. Yes, key queries are still not important here, since it is by them that the system determines what kind of material is presented on your resource and already offers it to users. But today, bots pay attention to how professionally an article is written, what benefits it provides to the reader, and whether optimization is provided for certain devices. The material must be structured, easy to read, filled with visual images, and also meet certain requirements of a particular search engine.
- Guest posts. This term refers to external links leading to your resource from materials posted on third-party sites. Today, there are a number of platforms that allow you to publish your materials without prior editorial approval by placing a link to a page on your website. If we talk about the Russian-language Internet, then this is Yandex.Zen, vc.ru, Pikabu, if we talk about the English-language Internet, then this is Reddit or Medium. In principle, it is allowed to publish here even repetitions of articles existing on your blog, but we would not recommend doing this. The fact is that it is unique publications created specifically for these platforms that give the greatest effect. To prepare such material, you must understand what audience you are targeting, and also study the requirements of the site itself. Based on this, prepare the material and post it. 1-2 links will be enough for one article. They should be included as organically as possible. The optimal volume of such guest publications — no more than 5000 characters.
- Competitor analysis. Let us immediately note that there is no direct connection between analyzing competitors and attracting organic traffic to the site. But still, you must understand how your competitors work in this direction. That is, at this stage you need to pay attention to how communication with the audience is conducted, what mistakes were made, what tools are used in the work. The information obtained will allow you to obtain data to draw up your own strategy for improving organic traffic, and will also allow you to avoid the most common mistakes. As a result, you have a more or less clear picture of the direction in which you need to promote your own blog in order to get the maximum effect: high results with minimal waste of time and effort.
- Internal linking. When optimizing articles for a block, it is important to consider not only external links, but also internal ones. This will allow you to keep the user’s attention on your resource for as long as possible. You will literally drag him in, force him to move from one link to another, find more and more useful and interesting information. This point is also important from the point of view that the time the reader spends on the site — This is one of the criteria that search bots focus on when indexing a particular page. But here it is important not to overdo it. For one article of about 5000 characters, 3-5 links will be enough for linking.
- Social networks. We have already mentioned that social networks and organic traffic are not particularly compatible with each other. But still, using these sites you can attract attention to your blog. So, if you manage to create really interesting and useful material, it will be reposted and passed from group to group, including thematic ones. This means that it will be seen by a large number of audiences who may be truly interested in your products or services. And there can also be mutual assistance: a person who is interested in your product can subscribe to you on social networks, which will also help promote your account.
Additional recommendations for improving organic traffic
Here are a number of additional recommendations, using which you can not only improve organic traffic to your website, but also increase the efficiency of all work related to resource promotion:
- Use services that allow you to automatically parse data. This way you will significantly reduce the time spent collecting semantics and information about your competitors.
- Do not neglect viral content. This is exactly what is guaranteed to attract the attention of the target audience. This is the material that is actively discussed, quoted, and at the same time spread throughout the network.
- Take a comprehensive approach to compiling a semantic core. Of all the phrases that will be at your disposal, you need to choose those that will most closely match the queries entered by users when searching for the goods or services they need.
- When compiling material, focus on expertise, that is, write about what you really understand.
- Don't forget about uniqueness. Each of your materials must be exclusive. This is the only way to truly interest the audience and present them with your own point of view. In addition, this will significantly improve the ranking of the resource.
- Contact an opinion leader in your market segment with a request to post your material on his blog. Whether it will be paid depends on who you decide to cooperate with and what you are ready to offer.
- Try to expand the theme of the site several times and see what results it brings. Often the traffic will increase. You need to do this periodically if the resulting effect satisfies you.
- Encourage people to leave feedback about your collaboration. So, in response to feedback about your cooperation, offer the person additional discounts or bonuses for a subsequent purchase.
- Consider cross-posting. To do this, you need to find a community with a topic similar to yours and with approximately the same number of subscribers, and also invite them to exchange posts without paying.
- Never delete negative comments. The presence of exclusively positive reviews in a profile always alarms the audience. Try to give the most honest and comprehensive answer to every negative comment, try to resolve the unpleasant situation, offer an additional discount, replace the non-conforming product, etc.
- Constantly work on your website. Updates or at least some minor changes should occur on it every day.
- Show your users care. Everyone who visits your site should receive an answer to their questions. At the same time, the process of obtaining this information should be as comfortable and fast as possible. If the user has to search for the information he needs for a long time, he will simply leave your resource.
- The main emphasis is on strategies that really work. Periodically, of course, you need to do experiments, but still never forget about what really brings you the results you want.
- Do not neglect paid promotion methods, such as contextual and thematic advertising. This will give an additional influx of audience to your resource.
- Use mobile proxies. This is the simplest solution to ensure a secure, stable, functional network experience without any restrictions.
Let us dwell on the last point in a little more detail. Mobile proxies — this is an intermediary who will replace your real user data when connecting to the network with its own technical parameters. This ensures the anonymity and security of your actions on the Internet and protection from any unauthorized access. Also, with help, you can easily parse data from resources, including those that are blocked in your country, as well as use programs that automate actions. To bypass regional blocking, he will simply need to select the most suitable geolocation.
The best mobile proxies in terms of functionality and price are offered by the MobileProxy.Space service. Here you can find out more about this product and current tariffs. There is also the opportunity to take advantage of a free two-hour test to ensure that such a solution is highly effective before purchasing. Any technical issues are resolved as quickly as possible by the technical support service.